joi, 12 februarie 2009

Valentine, by Carol Ann Duffy


Not a red rose or a satin heart.
I give you an onion.
It is a moon wrapped in brown paper.
It promises light
like the careful undressing of love.
Here.
It will blind you with tears
like a lover.
It will make your reflection
a wobbling photo of grief.
I am trying to be truthful.
Not a cute card or a kissogram.
I give you an onion.
Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips,
possessive and faithful
as we are,
for as long as we are.
Take it.
Its platinum loops shrink to a wedding-ring,
if you like.Lethal.
Its scent will cling to your fingers,
cling to your knife.

I've never celebrated Valentine's, maybe because it's not an old Romanian tradition and because all the commercial part makes me sick...and also maybe because I've never felt that the person I was with deserved that kind of celebration. The idea of celebrating love is so wonderful that I've always felt I'd be untrue to it if I treated it conveniently, and superficially, that it will turn out to be some kind of...Christmas. This year I'll spend it by myself, and I am wondering...even if the person I'm seeing would be in town...would I want to give him a present as a symbol for Valentine? And the simple mere thought of it makes me feel good. Doubt is good, doubt is the doorway to every possible path, it questions things and questions are a child's toy while growing up, and as long as there are questions there will always be answers.

I've always liked this poem, it's truthful. It's an open answer, and an open question.

Well, Happy Valentine's to all whom will happen to read this little post.


6 comentarii:

Arty spunea...

It's a very beautiful post Pati. Those words are art.

Gal Friday spunea...

My husband really makes a lot of Valentine's Day, and then I get swept up in it, but I am fully aware of how commercial it is..and cheesy, even. ;-)

I don't even know if you are interested in blogging much lately, but if you see this comment, I hope you'll come over to my blog. Because, you have been "tagged", m' dear.

Patricia spunea...

I finally saw this comment, I don't have much time for blogging even though I keep saying I'll try make time for it...I'll go see my tag now...

Anonim spunea...

I'm finally back on Blogger after making the final decision what to do where... I know I still owe you the tag blog the other day. The reason why I haven't done it till now is I want to wait till my new blog here is up & running. Hope it's ok with you, Pati if I ask you to follow the new blog instead of the old one. I've missed blogging with you.

Ok, enough rambling. Now my comment on your post - first of all, it made me smile so big. I never liked celebrating Valentine's Day unless it's a party with my friends for the same reason as well. I don't like the commercial part of it. Lately I've been thinking about doing a simple one (can you tell that I'm in love? LOL) but haven't made up my mind yet. So even though it's way pass Valentine's Day right now, this blog is a huge help. ;-)

Loved the poems and the way you described it. Thank you for sharing this!

Arty spunea...

Pati, we miss you around here. I hope you're well.

Patricia spunea...

I'm OK, I really miss reading your blogs, and Tina's, but I haven't got around to it but I plan on it!:)