sâmbătă, 10 aprilie 2010

The silent caller

Well yes, dear readers, I've got a silent caller and I've finally decided to take the most adventurous voyage  and explore my two mobile phones options in search of a rejection method for calls generated by unknown numbers...And that's not easy for a non-technical person such as myself...

I can't really remember when these phone calls started, maybe last fall...Anyway, I answer when anyone calls me, the only reason I don't pick up is when I can't hear it ring or when obviously I can't pick up because I'm in the middle of a class and the phone is set on silent mode. I always turn my phones off during the night, bad past experience taught me that too...So I answer the phone, especially because an unknown number could mean a payphone or even a call from abroad...Sometimes I don't even take the time to check who's calling on the phone screen...

So I can't remember when the calls started because they didn't really bother me. They were coming once a month, maybe sometimes every two weeks...First I thought they might be that type of silent phone calls automatically generated by some companies that don't have enough personnel to deal with all the calls...That's because there was no noise in the background, no anything whatsoever...Yesterday I got one of those calls the minute I got to the countryside where I spent most of the day. I had just gotten out of my car and entered my aunt's yard when the phone rang....I felt annoyed because my phone does not ring very often, especially during school breaks, the people I usually talk to are just a few...So I was annoyed, thinking "I surely hope it's not work related!" Then I saw the number was a private one and thought "Come on, maybe this time you'll have the guts to speak!"...I said hello twice or three times, no one spoke as usually...My aunt's dog started barking though, he must have felt there was a stranger on the phone!;)

So  getting that phone call didn't bother me. Instead I was thinking...whoever that is, I trust one of these days they'll come out clear and state their name...or at least use articulated sounds put together in words like "Hello"...I know, what planet do I come from? I wouldn't know, I can't remember...

Today I was pissed though. Where in God's name are those two weeks break between the calls? All the other calls came during the day, I remember one time I was on the school corridor during the break and when the phone rang I was wondering how was I going to hear what the other person was saying? Not a problem, it was just the silent caller. Boy, he had  the unique chance to hear the kind of mayhem children make during breaks...ha, that is sweet revenge!;)

So no speaking today, but a definite background noise, it might have been a train, tram or even underground...Constanta doesn't have trams anymore, not to mention we don't have subway. Whatever, I hung up. It called back the next second, I picked up and asked in Romanian "Who is on the phone?" thinking "yeah, sure, and pigs fly, they won't tell ya, silly!" And then wow, like in the bad horror/thriller movies I heard THE breathing! bwahahahahahahha! For Christ's sake! Duh! So yeah, after several months, they finally got to my proverbial calm, I'm slightly pissed, hence this entry. Now I need to find someone to show me how to set both my mobile phones to reject these calls...Oh yeah, the weird thing was that the last calls came on my other mobile phone...and not many people know that one!

Anyway, if my silent caller gets to read this (which I really doubt) I would like to say that there are so many wonderful hobbies he could choose from....bird watching, for instance!;) It's a beautiful world out there. Get out of your box and enjoy it. Seriously.

4 comentarii:

Allie spunea...

Hmmm... I also received calls with private number and I was really amused, because I received this calls from others who wanted to play different pranks on people.
I was at the restaurant with some friends, when suddenly I heard that my phone was ringing. I answered and a voice started telling me to check the fridge if it's still in the kitchen...because he saw my Whirlpool fridge walking down the street. It was hilarious ! :))

In another day, the same voice told me that my mom died in a car accident...which was obviously fake...because my mother was in front of me...I just started laughing and because of the nerves, I started swearing him. (I was a little rude, but it worked ! That guy was completely stupid, because he didn't know to change his voice...which I recognized it...He was ashamed when I spelled his name...and just ended the call)

Or during the night...at around 3 A.M...December,this year (My father was on voyage in China :D)... a "woman" called me and started speaking English. She pretended being a woman from London, but I didn't believe her, because her English was "broken" ...however..she started like this :

"Hi ! I'm Nicole Paul, and I'm calling you from London. I'm really sad to announce that your husband (I was ...astonished...because she told me my HUSBAND!) ...died in a plane crash."

I simply answered that he wasn't on a plane, he's on a ship, on his way to China.(And all this stupid conversation was in English)...After that...she told me exactly who she was !
I got mad at her...because I was tired...after a surgery I had...in that day...:)) And I also got a stronger head pain. :))

Sorry for the mistakes I've done...I wrote this in a hurry :))

Patricia spunea...

Ha ha ha! Those are some pretty good pranks!;) I know it wouldn't bother me much if I were your age, except maybe if I got a call during classes...lol But at my age it turns out to be rather unpleasant...but hey, thanks for the comment! You gave me a whole new perspective...Imean good God, am I turning into an adult? Noooo! lol I'll take it more lightly...he only brethed in my ear for Christ's sake! bwahahahaha!

Patricia spunea...

Forget the mistakes, I mistyped a few words myself...I never check my spelling which I should but it's kind of late and I'm kind of sleepy...I even mispelled a comment in Romanian on Facebook so..

Gal Friday spunea...

I would certainly look into how to track this number and then block it, if possible! Ugh...how creepy and annoying for you, Pati.